Record to report / R2R – General Accounting – Inter company
Criticality of a journal entry process was discussed in our previous R2R post.
Our next segment is Inter Company Accounting. This process of general accounting is also a good back office candidate. A majority of the dealings for the outsource / back office unit in this process are internal to your client or principal. I requires a lot of coordination. This is not really classified as a voice based process, since the coordination with various units of the company are done over email / normal telephone calls. These calls cannot really be routinized, so you cannot have junior call-center personnel handling this.
What would be some key activities of this process?
- Inter company reconciliations – We have already discussed this in detail, and this forms a major part of inter company accounting
- Passing entries for inter company transactions
- Inventory adjustments
- Adjustment of losses during inter company transits
- Allocation of sales / service revenue between inter company units
- Allocation of charges / expenses / establishment costs revenue between inter company units
- Foreign currency adjustments
- Inter company resource allocations
- Payroll transfers and their cost allocation in transition periods
This is not really an exhaustive list, but is a decent representation of the most practiced components of an inter company accounting process.
Have you been following our accounting blog?
Subscription and Guest Post:
You may subscribe to the blog from the subscription box on the opening page of the blog. We have enabled a button on the top of the first page, which will enable you share your posts. If you wish to write about any of the current streams, you can do it at http://faoblog.com/guest-post/. We will review your post and release it within 48 hours of your posting. Please note, any irrelevant posts shall be deleted without information.